Asylos is looking for a Director, based in Brussels (full time)
Asylos is a network of volunteer researchers providing on-demand background research to support asylum claims in Europe. The research concerns the situation in the country of origin of the asylum seeker or other facts relating to an individual asylum claim. In many countries, legal aid provided for asylum seekers is limited. Lawyers can’t devote sufficient time to researching information which may substantiate asylum requests in court. Asylos volunteers look for information that can help to establish whether forcing a refugee to return to his/her country of origin or transit would threaten his/her life or deny fundamental human and civil rights. Asylos has currently 80 volunteer researchers who commit to at least two hours of research per week.
Scope of work
Asylos is looking for a Director (full-time), starting as soon as possible and based in Brussels. He/she will work closely with Asylos’s UK coordinator in London and will be supported by two interns, based in Asylos’s Brussels office. It’s an exciting opportunity for a self-starter, who is curious about leading a small and highly innovative NGO into the next phase of its development, interested in working with volunteers, and eager to deal hands-on with all aspects of running an NGO. The director will be supported by Asylos’s Trustees, who advise on strategy, fundraising and financial management, as well as by a core group of volunteer coordinators, who lead Asylos’s respective research teams.
- Chart the strategic direction of a young NGO and establish it as an innovative, pan-European actor in country-of-origin information research;
- take the lead on all aspects involved in managing a small NGO (human resources, financial management, research management, development of work plans, communications);
- engage with a network of highly dedicated volunteers who form the core of Asylos;
- engage with existing and potential funders and develop new ideas for fundraising;
- provide guidance on the strategic direction of the organisation.
- Be a self-starter who is eager to engage with all aspects of managing a small NGO
- be a good communicator who is curious about engaging with a network of volunteers and able to work flexibly with volunteers in different time zones and levels of engagement;
- have experience in fundraising (knowledge about EU funding and crowdfunding initiatives would be an asset);
- have experience in project management with the ability to meet tight deadlines and handle complex projects, including innovative IT projects;
- be curious about leveraging the internet for our work – prior experience in online research tools and open source intelligence is an asset;
- be interested in the broad range of political issues Asylos engages with throughout its research;
- have an insight into the refugee and asylum community in Europe – knowledge of the main actors involved in country-of-origin information research is an asset;
- write and speak fluently in English – knowledge of other European languages (such as French, German, Italian or Greek) is a plus
- have a minimum of three years of professional experience, and a university degree.
- Monthly gross salary of €3600
- Full-time one-year fixed-term contract (renewable)
- Flexible working hours
- Opportunity to travel in Europe
To apply, please fill out the form (on the site) and outline in your cover letter your experience in fundraising, project management and finances, and leadership.
The deadline for applications is 3 February 2017 (COB).
Source : Director – Asylos — asylos